It was 2 a.m. on a Tuesday morning, and I found myself at the ER with terrible abdominal pain. The pain started about midnight, and continued to increase with intensity and no relief was in sight! My diagnosis: kidney stones! – (actually one small kidney stone – with all the pain I experienced, I really feel for those of you that have dealt with large and/or multiple stones. Yikes!) I was shocked to say the least! I knew of others that have had kidney stones, but surely not me! Aren’t we always surprised when things happen to us? It’s easy to think that things like this won’t happen to us, but we never know….!
I found an easy, quick remedy at home that had me as good as new in no time!
First let’s talk about what a kidney stone is:
Kidney stones form when acid salts and minerals crystallize in your urine and become a “stone”. The problem is a result of urine containing more calcium and uric acid than can be diluted.
You most likely with not experience all the symptoms that kidney stones can cause. The symptoms can include:
*Pain in your side and back below your ribs – (An excruciating pain on just your right side could be an appendix attack, which is very serious!)
*Episodes lasting up to an hour – or non-stop (as in my case)
*Pain “waves” that go from your side and back to your lower abdomen and/or groin
*Nausea and/or vomiting
*Bloody, cloudy or foul-smelling urine
*”Urgency” to go to the bathroom persistently
*Possible fever and chills
~The main symptom is the constant lower abdominal pain~
What’s the Remedy?
If you have been to the doctor or emergency room, and confirmed that you have a kidney stone, surgery is not the best option unless you have a very large stone that cannot pass. Doctors tend to shy away from kidney surgery because of the risks.
If you are sent home with pain medicine, as most people are, immediately do this easy remedy for relief. This mixture flushes out the kidneys, which causes the stone to pass. I’ve also used this remedy to flush out and rejuvenate my liver.
Home Remedy For Kidney Stones
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 2 oz. lemon juice
- Large glass of water
Mix the olive oil and lemon juice the best you can. Do not mix the oil and lemon juice into the water; you drink the water separate. The oil insists on rising to the top, so it’s difficult to mix in, but do your best. I stir the two ingredients in a cup and stir again after each drink. Normally taking huge gulps of olive oil are enough to gag the life out of me, but not when I’m in that kind of pain! Anything that will bring relief is my friend at this point! :) Immediately after you drink this greasy mixture, follow with a large glass of water.
Continue to drink as much water as you can throughout the day. Within 24 hours, the stone should be passed and the pain gone. For me, it was in only 2 hours. Some suffer for days, or even a few weeks trying to pass a stone. Drinking this mixture won’t take the pain away immediately, it simply flushes the stone out so that your pain is gone quicker. Once you’ve experienced this condition, you’re not likely to forget it. You can avoid an ER trip by doing this easy remedy at home.
Depending on the size of the stone, you may not even know that you’ve passed it. If you can, save the stone and bring it to the doctor for testing so they can determine what kind it is. If you know the kind, you can be more informed of what probably caused it and help prevent them.
There are 4 kinds of stones:
1. Calcium stone – this is the most common. This is when you have too many oxalates in your body.
2. Uric Acid stone – this can be a result of gout, or just having too much uric acid build-up caused by your body not breaking down protein well enough.
3. Struvite stone – caused by urinary tract infections.
4. Cystine stone – this is the least common and is a result of a hereditary disorder.
Prevention is Always the Best Medicine! How to Help Prevent Kidney Stones:
Men are at least twice as likely to get a kidney stone as women, but women are susceptible also!
- Drink lots of water. This one thing will go a long way in helping you to prevent kidney stones. One of the first things a doctor will ask you if you have a kidney stone is if you drink a lot of soda. I don’t. I have only a few organic sodas a year. If you’re a regular soda drinker, it can not only cause a kidney stone, it can contribute to other health problems as well. It’s o.k. if you want to have a few sodas on occasion, but don’t make it a habit – it will most likely cause health problems of some sort. Even if soda isn’t a habit for you, it’s easy to not consume enough water on a daily basis. Make sure you drink 8-10 glasses a day. You can also know you’re getting enough water by making sure your urine stays a light color. If you take certain strong vitamins, they can make your urine a bright yellow after you take them. The rest of the day, drinking enough water to keep your urine light will help you tremendously.
- Adding lemon to your water regularly helps prevent kidney stones also.
- Take the olive oil and lemon juice mixture on occasion. This will flush your kidneys out, and get rid of any stones that may be forming. Once you have a kidney stone, you have a very high chance of it returning. And, as I already mentioned, this mixture helps to flush out and rejuvenate the liver.