Natural Remedies For Thyroid Malfunction

{photo credit}

The main role of the thyroid gland is to maintain and secrete thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones regulate heat production, metabolism and oxygen consumption.  It also controls the body’s energy.

What can cause the thyroid to malfunction?
{This would include both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism}.

• Poor Nutrition
  • Iodine Deficiency
  • Soy
  • Hormone Changes
  • Menopause

Symptoms of thyroid malfunction:
{You do not have to have all these symptoms to have a thyroid problem.  There are different severities with any health problem}

• Feeling sluggish or fatigued
  • Insomnia
  • Inability to lose weight
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Joint Stiffness
  • Mood Changes
  • Body temperature changes
  • Rapid Heartbeat
  • Trembling

Home Remedy Suggestions:

*Since your current lifestyle has caused the malfunction, it’s necessary to change what you do now.  Eat healthier and exercise faithfully.  Avoid things that throw hormone balance off.

*Combine 3 parts mullein and 1 part lobelia.  {I buy most of my bulk herbs here} Make a fomentation and wrap the cloth around the neck.  Wrap plastic wrap over the cloth to keep things less messy.  Keep this on 24/7 and your thyroid problem should be corrected in a week.  Make a new fomentation every day.  This may seem impractical if you work or have to go somewhere, but when you consider the length of taking medicine with bad side effects, this is the most inexpensive, healthy remedy that works quickly.  You can wear a turtle neck or shirt with a scarf while doing this.  You can look stylish and heal your thyroid at the same time! :)

*Take supplements that will help balance the thyroid like: Thyroid Balancing Formula or Dr. Christopher Herbal Thyroid Formula.

What Home Remedy suggestions do you have for thyroid troubles?

Linked To:  The Modest Mom   The Better Mom   Raising Arrows   What Joy Is Mine   A Mama’s Story
Growing Home    Far Above Rubies    Like A Mustard Seed    Time-Warp Wife
Raising Homemakers    Deep Roots At Home    Women Living Well

Comments

If you choose the supplements over the fomentation, I would take them until symptoms were gone. The length of taking it would depend on the severity of the thyroid problem. You could also call the supplement company for their suggestions. Best wishes, Sherry!

My 10 year old has thyroid troubles already. I wonder if she’d tolerate me putting this on her for a week. ;) Any experience with it working on children?

No, Sarah, I don’t have personal experience with it. These remedies are the result of my research, reading, schooling, and what other natural doctors and families have had success with. If I had thyroid troubles, I would personally do the fomentation on myself because it’s the quickest, least expensive remedy. If my child just could not tolerate it, I would go with the supplements.

I have been borderline hyperthyroid for at least the last 10 years of my life. I am currently nursing my 4th baby who is 7 months old. Would this be safe to do while I am nursing? We also are always open to life, so there is always the chance I can get pregnant, though I don’t have my cycle back yet…so would this be safe in this case?

Hi Christina! The fomentation would be safe, but I would check with your doctor about the supplement formulas if you would rather use one of those, as I am not positive. Thanks for the question!

3. Stephanie says

Well, my hormone imbalance is caused by pregnancy and nursing, lol! What is a fomentation? I am fairly certain that I have a thyroid problem, will this work for both hypo and hyper?

Yes it does help both hypo and hyper. A fomentation is making a tea from the herb(s), soaking a cloth in the tea and applying the cloth to the intended area. Very simple! Thanks for the questions, Stephanie! :)

Hi, Myn! These herbs help to balance the thyroid whether hyper or hypo. I am not, however, familiar with auto-immune disorders and would recommend visiting a good naturopathic doctor for more advice on that specifically.
      Let me know if you find a good answer! Have a great day!

Hello new reader here… I have had one half of my thyroid removed and one parathyroid removed. I do not take medication. I have gained weight, body temperture change and dry skin. I could not tolerate the wrap around my neck so what supplements do you recommend?? Thank you.

I have had hypothyroidism for 17 years. I take synthroid. I’m terrible about taking it daily. I am nursing. I read above I could still do the wrap while nursing. Would it help me even having had the problem for so long? AND would you recommend stopping my medication? I’ve gone a week without it before, I’m not worried about that, really. I just read something about black walnuts too. So much to look into. :)

The wrap does help no matter how long you’ve had thyroid problems. I cannot replace the advice of your doctor or tell you to stop medications, but I will say that I would personally use a natural thyroid treatment and I personally know those who have switched from medication to natural thyroid herbs. :)

Forgive my ignorance. I read that you said to use 3 parts mullein & 1 part lobelia but can you give me a better idea of how much that might be? I don’t want to order too little or waste what I have. Thank you so much for this, I am excited to try it!

I am excited for you! :)

Examples of 3 parts to one part means:
      3 tablespoons mullein, 1 tablespoon lobelia
      or
      3 cups mullein, 1 cup lobelia
      {or however much you want to put together}
      Hope this helps!

I have the liquid mullein and liquid lobelia. Can I use this to make a formula or do I need the dry herbs? Thanks so much… I am anxious to try this.

Linda

8. Gina says

I am buying my herbs today- Can’t wait to try this one- I have Hashimoto’s (autoimmune of thyroid)- started taking Dr. Christopher’s thyroid maintenance supplement after getting off the prescription med since I was having such bad side effects from it. So far supplement helps with fatigue but still not 100%- Can’t wait to see how well this works- will give an update afterwards!

9. Gina says

I have tried this for my Hashimoto’s – I read on Dr. Christopher’s website to put heat on it for 12 min then 4 min of ice for 1 hour to get your blood circulating – On their website it also said you can just do it through the night so I tried that. I think it was helping because one symptom I have from my Hashimoto’s is having a hard time sleeping and I really noticed a difference with that. I did it for two nights but unfortunately was not able to keep doing it or keep it on throughout the night because it was making me itch really bad so I don’t know if I am allergic or sensitive to these herbs. Normally I would stick it out but within a couple minutes of putting it on it would make me itch so bad I don’t know how I would be able to get to sleep. :( I am still taking the Thyroid Maintenance and that is really helping – my blood work came back normal, although on the low side but feeling so much better than when I was on medication. I also started taking apple cider vinegar every day and that has helped a lot with my energy!

• Gina says

Your welcome- Hope it helps you- I definitely would take it with food- first time I took it it upset my stomach but with food it is fine. :)

Hi, Sarah! You would make a tea by using how ever much water you wanted to start out with. I would think that 1 cup of tea would be sufficient each time you made it. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add the herbs. Remove from heat, cover and steep for 20 minutes or so and strain the herbs. Use the liquid for the fomentation. If you wanted to alternate it with cold water, just have a cup of cold water handy.
      Jill recently posted…4 Essential Habits For Healthy FamiliesMy Profile