To be honest, I never gave it a thought that I would have a problem with my memory in my 30’s. I assumed my older years might bring on forgetfulness, but I did not anticipate the need for a brain tonic tincture at my age.
But with the increasing number of cases of Alzheimer’s, dementia, and other memory-related disorders, I think it’s important to start NOW in trying to improve and prevent memory loss.
I found myself recently making a tincture to help my brain function better. People of all ages can become forgetful and yes there are herbs that can make a huge difference in how our brains function!
This brought me to the question of why? Why do some people experience memory loss? Some begin to experience memory loss when they are young and others have a very sharp mind their entire life. Is there a way to prevent memory loss and even improve it? I believe there is!
I am all about researching and learning the whys and ways of how to heal and prevent. There are very few health concerns that can not be reversed and healed with proper diet and herbal support. This is such good news for those that suffer from ailments. Never give up hope! I know what it’s like to feel like you can never feel better, but you CAN.
Possible Causes of Memory Loss
As important as our memory is to us, let’s take a look at some of the things that can cause memory loss. This is not the whole list, but some of the main culprits.
- Medication – some medications have a side effect of memory loss. As I’ve said many times, I am a firm believer that most health problems can be healed with diet change and herbal supplements. If you are on medication that has harmful side effects, work with a natural doctor on switching to healthy remedies if at all possible. I have a relative that switched 11 of her medications for herbal supplements and she now does not suffer from the side effects of those medications. Imagine taking ELEVEN medications! Her health is so much better from getting to the root of correcting her ailments as opposed to only covering up symptoms.
- Diet – not eating a proper diet makes a big difference in how our brain functions. Sugar leaches nutrients from our body and almost every American has too much sugar in their diet. Real food diets of lean meats, brown rice, vegetables, fruits, etc. feed the brain what it needs. Supplementing with a B-vitamin complex is also a very good idea.
- Artificial Sweeteners such as aspartame and sucralose are excitotoxins that kill brain cells and can greatly affect the memory. MSG (or monosodium glutamate) is another excitotoxin to avoid.
- Mercury and aluminum are very toxic to the brain. Don’t bake with aluminum where the food is touching aluminum. Avoid silver (mercury) fillings and instead, find a dentist that does the white fillings. Vaccines contain aluminum and/or mercury. Opt instead for green vaccines.
Besides eating a good diet and exercising at least 4 times a week, there are herbs that can improve your memory and reverse memory loss. I found a great recipe in Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health. With consistent use, many people have noticed a difference in their memories after taking this tincture for 6-8 weeks. This is just one way to fight memory loss!
How To Make a Brain Tonic Tincture
- Combine herbs together in a bowl. You can measure by weight or volume. Mix up as much or as little as desired.
- Fill a jar halfway with herbal mixture.
- Fill the jar the rest of the way with vodka, leaving a 2-inch headspace.
- Keep jar in a cool, dark place for 6-8 weeks.
- Shake jar daily or at least a few times a week.
- Strain tincture and bottle the liquid.
Dosage: Take 1/2-1 tsp. of tincture 3 times a day for 6-8 weeks.
For an alcohol-free version, follow the instructions in this post.
I buy most of my dried herbs here.[yumprint-recipe id=’8′] REFERENCES