I get a lot of questions about hormone problems, and there is good reason for that! We live in a world of high stress and poor diet which are big contributors to hormone imbalance.
1. The birth control pill – The pill contains progestins and progestogens, which are man-made, synthetic hormones, and they cause low progesterone levels. These hormones are highly toxic to the body, and besides messing up our natural hormones, they can also cause miscarriages, migraines, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and depression.
2. Hormone Replacement Therapy – Hormone therapy is used to ease the symptoms of menopause – but, once again, it contains synthetic progestins which causes confusion with our natural hormones, and they react with symptoms worse than menopause! The side effects of taking this therapy can include: osteoporosis, blood clots, high blood pressure, vaginal bleeding, rash and acne, and weight gain. If you suffer from menopause, there are herbs and natural products to take instead!
3. Toxins – Unless you live somewhere besides earth, you come into contact with toxins on a daily basis! Though they cannot all be avoided, there are some that can! Let me list a few things that most of us come into contact with on a regular basis:
- Cleaning Products – you can make your own with safe ingredients, or buy “green” products that don’t use the harsh, caustic chemicals.
- Laundry and dry-cleaning products – once again, make your own like I do, or buy a “green” alternative.
- Pesticides – research things you can use instead.
- Plastics – buy glass whenever possible, and never heat with plastic or use hot foods in them.
- Cosmetics – many cosmetics contain petrochemicals. I highly recommend only using cosmetics that don’t contain harsh chemicals like Beeyoutiful Skin.
Petrochemicals found in many of the things listed above contain high levels of xeno-estrogens, which mimics the estrogen in your body. They fill up the estrogen receptors so that the good estrogen can’t get through. This throws our hormones off balance!
4. Non-Organic Meats and Produce – Meat you buy that is non-organic are fed estrogen steroids to fatten them up and bring in more money for the company. This causes our estrogen levels to be higher than they should be. Non-organic produce is grown using pesticides, which contains dioxin.
5. Stress – When we are under a lot of stress, our adrenal glands produce cortisol. If cortisol is too high, it blocks estrogen from getting into cells. Wouldn’t we all like to have less stress in our lives? Do your best to handle situations without piling stress on top! It’s impossible to avoid stress completely in this imperfect world, but work on worrying less and trusting God more. If you find yourself having a stressful day, try one of these herbs or herbal mixes mentioned in this post here.
Like I said, it’s impossible to avoid all the negative things in our lives. We can, however, reduce the amount of toxins we encounter, choose healthier foods, and learn to manage stress. Start somewhere and make healthy lifestyle changes one at a time. If you do all that you can, your hormones will most likely work in harmony.