How I Healed My Heart Palpitations Overnight

heart and stethoscope in vintage style

Have you ever lived with heart palpitations? If you haven’t, let’s just say it’s quite an aggravation!  The palpitations are not normally a sign of anything really serious, but they are a sign that something in your body needs attention.

A couple months ago I woke up to my heart pounding and beating irregular. It was a far too familiar feeling, as I lived with them for many, many months when I was a teenager/young adult.  It’s not that the palpitation are painful, they are just very annoying.  It’s kind of like being aware of your heart beating non-stop.  Of course I know my heart is constantly beating and working to keep me alive, but I don’t want to be aware of it all the time.  Heart palpitations are feelings of your heart fluttering, pounding, skipping beats, beating fast, beating slow.  The palpitations can occur in the chest or throat, and they can get worse when you bend over and do various activities.  For me they occurred some at night too, so there was little rest from them.

When I suffered from palpitations years ago, I knew nothing about natural health, nor had I considered the concept of figuring out the cause of health issues instead of dealing with symptoms only.  So let’s just say that I suffered for a long time.  I saw more than one doctor who all told me I was completely healthy and just prescribed me an anti-depressant (which I did not take).  I eventually found my way into natural health and was treated by a natural chiropractor.  I don’t remember everything he had me take, but the natural supplements he gave me certainly took care of the palpitations too!

Causes of Heart Palpitations

There is more than one condition that causes heart palpitations, so it may be difficult to know the cause if it isn’t something you’ve already dealt with.  There may be one cause, or there may be a few different ones.  When our bodies react by causing something like irregular heart function, our body is trying to get our attention and let us know that something is wrong and needs corrected.  Our bodies are not asking us to take medication to merely try to correct a symptom.  Our body needs nourished and healed.

Anxiety and stress is probably the biggest underlying cause of heart palpitations.  Most of us lead very busy, stressful lives, and we don’t eat diets that give us enough living nutrients to help our bodies handle the stress.  This results in symptoms like heart palpitations, panic attacks, feelings of be overwhelmed, unable to handle life, depression, being anxious and fearful to do normal activities.  When I began to experience the heart palpitations, I figured it was due to anxiety and stress.  When I first experienced these almost 20 years ago, it was a side effect of medication I was taking.  I really compromised my health all those years ago by taking the medication and all these years later I’m finding myself with some of the same symptoms.  But this time I know how to treat it safely and naturally.

Other possible causes of heart palpitations

• Anemia
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Adrenal Fatigue
  • Thyroid Disease

How I Healed My Heart Palpitations Overnight

I have been reading this year in Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes For Vibrant Health.  This book has a lot of great information on panic attacks, anxiety, depression, and healing the nervous system.

This paragraph in her book caught my attention:

“Symptoms of mental distress or disorders such as irritability, nervousness, panic attacks, excess fear, depression, or suicidal tendancies often indicate a B-vitamin deficiency….B vitamins are most effective taken as a complex.”

Dealing with mental or emotional distress often calls for healing it from several different angles. I was already drinking a nerve tonic (soon I’ll have to share my favorite-so-far recipe also taken from this book), but after reading about B-vitamin deficiency, I knew I needed to add it to my regime.  I purchased Garden of Life Raw B Complex. Buy the complex here.

The morning after taking a dose of the B Complex, my heart palpitations were completely gone, and they have not returned since.  For me, I was already working on my nervous system and adrenals, so a B-vitamin complex was the missing key.  I am still taking a B-vitamin complex daily as I continue to heal my nervous system.

My body was so depleted of B-vitamins that it was sending an emergency signal to me by causing my heart to malfunction.  A doctor would have just prescribed medication to regulate my heart beat, but my body was not crying out for medication to force it to perform better, it was crying out for healing.  That’s how God created our bodies.  Our bodies let us know that something is seriously wrong by sending signals of malfunction – our quest is to find out the root and work to heal it.

If you are dealing with heart palpitations, or even just mental or emotional distress, I believe a B-vitamin complex is essential to take.  I highly recommend a good company like Garden of Life, because not all supplements are made the same, and it’s possible that you won’t see benefits by taking an inferior quality (like something from Wal-Mart).  It’s very important that it be a complex of b-vitamins and not just a single vitamin.

If you don’t find relief by taking B-vitamins, don’t give up – it doesn’t mean you can’t heal naturally.  Be sure to add herbs that help the nervous system.

If you don’t know what is causing your heart palpitations, be sure to seek medical advice to make sure it’s nothing serious.  You may be suffering from something like anemia or thyroid disease (which can be healed naturally too).  Find the root cause of your symptoms, and start the healing from there.

What about you?  Have you ever suffered from heart palpitations?  How have you dealt with it?

Comments

Great info here, Jill! When I was in high school, I was overly active in multiple after school activities and things even before school. I didn’t realize how stressed I was, but I remember having heart palpitations and feeling terrified because I didn’t know what was going on with my heart. I never talked to a doctor about it and was ignorant of herbs and nutrients for healing. I’ve often wondered if adrenal and thyroid issues stem from that time! Palpitations are certainly something to not ignore like I did. I like how you took such a multifaceted approach to yours.
    Kristen @ Smithspirations recently posted…Finding Comfort & Courage After Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant LossMy Profile

2. Sue says

I had terrifying palpitations…I thought my heart was going to stop beating for good! They would wake me up and I’d start beating my chest to get my heart to beat again.
    I went to the doctor and got checked several times but of course the palpitations didn’t happen during those visits. I wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours and had palpitations almost constantly while wearing it. My doctor said mine were the harmless kind and prescribed a blood pressure medicine for me to take. I don’t have high blood pressure, and in fact have low blood pressure. She told me to half the pill or even quarter it to take the least amount or it would be too strong for me. I decided that I wasn’t taking any of it and did some research into more natural things since I knew that mine were harmless. What made mine instantly go away was taking magesium taurate (a form of taurine). I now take it from time to time but have not had the palpitations come back. I did have filled the blood pressure prescription but never took the medicine, I wanted to have it on hand in case the magnesium taurate did not work, as a standby. When I went back to the doctor I noticed that she had on my medical chart that I had hypertension, which I don’t have. It was because she had prescribed this medicine, so I told her that I didn’t take the medicine and had her remove “hypertension” from my medical file.

I love hearing stories like this, Sue! I’m so glad you found something natural that your body needed to heal itself. Thanks for sharing!

3. Dee says

I’m hoping my chest/heart palpitations are from my hormone levels being low (starting peri menopause). My gyn wants to put me on hormones…but I’m having no part of that.

All of my other blood work is normal.

Hi, Dee! I really like Dr. Christopher’s female reproductive formulas for hormone balance. I think he also has a product called Changese (or something like that) that helps menopausal hormone imbalances. I hope you have relief soon!

4. Rick says

Hello, I did some research based on the B complex you suggest from Garden of Life. I also ready they recently changed the formula that does not include inositol, Paba and choline. Does the B complex you use and recommend contain the old ingredients? Thanks..

Loving your site! Irregular heartbeat/palpitations run in the women in my family. For me, the fix was taking a potassium complex! This was especially interesting for me, since the women in my family also tend to have potassium deficiencies.

Hello Jill, my name is Louise and I have been reading your post on heart palpitations. I am truly scared because I am experiencing heart palpitations back to back at the age of 34. I have read other people that had been experiencing the same condition as mine, and it had bring me a little ease. I want to try the B- complex first to see if it will stop. Where do I get it please?

Reba, yes you can have palpitations at 31. We live in such a high-stress world with poor nutrition that does not nourish our body and help us handle everyday life. Heart palpitations are many times your body’s way of letting you know it needs help nutritionally. These herbs are not for hormone imbalance. For that situation, I would use something like Dr. Christopher’s formula here: http://tinyurl.com/gue2ybd

Thanks for the questions!
      Jill recently posted…5 Natural Remedies for Ear InfectionsMy Profile

7. Rachel says

Hi I’m 36 and been experiencing palpitations since around 2nd week in February my heart dr did all his test And came back great but then he asks if something big has happened and I said yes feb 1 my grandmother took her life and he prescribed me a beta blocker which told take only 1/2 for the palpitations but I’m still having them so I’m wondering if I should try the b complex first then if still have try the magnesium ? I need to find out what’s wrong

I am so, so sorry to hear that about your grandmother. Sending love and prayers your way. ❤️ Have you had your heart checked? B vitamin complex and magnesium helps the palpitations. I recently had bloodwork done that showed my blood sugar was so off and was the base of my palpitations this time around. The doctor has helped me get my sugar balanced and the palpitations stopped. Stay tuned for a future post on what worked for me! I recommend you see a DC Or ND for bloodwork to help get to the bottom of it. It could be bloodwork or deficiencies.

am 26years old.i am suffering from rapid heartbeat and shortness of breath for about 7weeks.i went to my doctor he did ecg for me and said my heart is normal.he prescrived atenolol for me,am taking it,now i am getting relieve but am afraid of its site effect.so i ll try b complex

9. Faruq says

GOD Bless you abundantly as you make me see the light. all my issue is deficiency of vitamin B. I’m going to get back to you after trying out. Thanks!!