Candles have been used for years as a main source of light and as a comforting sight for many a weary traveler looking for the glow in the windowsill to welcome them home.
We may have other ways to light our home in our day besides candles, but candles still symbolize comfort and warmth despite modern technology. In my part of the world, days get darker much earlier in fall and winter, and any extra source of a glowing light is much appreciated and welcome. Once fall arrives, I automatically want to pull out the candles and enjoy their burning glow.
Just like many other things in our world, many candles are made with unsafe chemicals that can cause illness and health problems. You may not even realize that your allergies or constant sinus problems come from the yummy smelling candle sitting on your counter.
I personally experience headaches, stuffiness, and dizziness when I’m around candles or other air fresheners for too long. The scents begin to not even smell good to me after a little while. My body interprets them as more of an invading nuisance that I need to get away from.
Keep in mind that some people are more sensitive to chemicals than others, but I believe it affects us all negatively in some way.
How Air Fresheners May Be Making You Sick
Most candles that you purchase are made with paraffin wax. When burned, paraffin creates benzene and toluene. Benzene is toxic to the organs and has a very high score of being a carcinogen. Toluene is toxic to the organs. Both of these chemicals score a 10 in their level of toxicity, which is the highest hazard score at EWG. They are cancer-causing and very unsafe.
Paraffin wax also produces soot. When inhaled, the soot reaches the lowest area of the lungs and can trigger asthma and respiratory problems. Black soot can get in the carpets, on appliances, and you may notice a black layer on vents and air conditioning units. The soot is then circulated throughout the home on a daily basis through these avenues.
When you burn candles made with this paraffin wax, you are emitting very unsafe chemicals in the home and causing an indoor air pollution that is many times worse than outdoor pollution.
Lead wicks were banned in the US in 2003, but is still in some candle wicks, especially those from China. When lead wicks are burnt, they emit unsafe amounts of lead into the air. Even if the wick isn’t completely lead, it may have a lead core.
Side effects of ongoing low-level exposure to lead: (Source)
- Lack of energy
- Loss of appetite
- Learning disabilities
- Behavioural problems
- Poor school performance
- Poor coordination
- Impaired growth
Artificial fragrances in products represent an undisclosed amount of chemicals that can cause allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress, and can be harmful to the reproductive system.
Other chemicals released when burning candles: (Source)
- Carbon Disulfide
- Carbon Tetrachloride
Side effects include:
- Lung problems
- Heart problems
- Difficulty breathing
- Sinus Infections
What about plug-ins and similar type products?
Though plug-ins are not a burning flame, they are still full of chemicals and fake fragrances that can cause similar health problems as candles do.
There are safer options
If you love candles and other air fresheners, you can still enjoy them. Thankfully, there are safer options. Use naturally-scented (with essential oils) candles made with beeswax or soy with cotton or wax wicks.
Safe candle options:
- Ava Anderson
- Floating Candles (add your own essential oils)
- The Honest Company
- Soy Candles from Puritan’s Pride. This Evergreen Candle is perfect for this time of year! They have other scents as well.
- Diffusers emit wonderful healthy oils and scents into the air!
- Olive Oil Lamps – Add essential oils to the olive oil