In my post a few weeks ago, I listed 10 signs you may be suffering from iron deficiency. If you, like me (and my kiddos), fit into some of these categories, I have good news! You can improve your iron levels by making your own iron tonic from easily assimilated herbs. It’s simple to do, and it saves a lot of money to make your own!
If you have severe symptoms of anemia, it’s important to have your iron levels checked. Anemia can be dangerous and may require serious action, but for many people, increasing iron consumption with foods and herbs is sufficient.
The herb I used for this iron tonic is yellow dock. Yellow dock has a reputation among some as being the best source of iron available. The high quantity of vitamin C and iron in this plant makes it one of the best blood builders available. It not only builds the blood, it also cleanses the blood and tones the entire body. It’s known to help relieve constipation and clear up chronic skin problems. It’s also an excellent source of vitamin A and trace minerals. (Source)
DIY Iron Tonic For Anemia
To make this tonic, I made a strong decoction. (Recipe adapted from here.)
- Place the yellow dock in a quart jar and cover with boiling water to the top of the jar.
- Let steep over night, or for at least 4 hours. This is an infusion. The water will pull lots of vitamins from the herb and result in a very healthy liquid.
- In the morning, pour the herbs and liquid in a pan and simmer the herbs until there is 1 cup of liquid left.
- Strain the herb from the liquid
- Pour the liquid into a jar
- Add the honey in while the liquid is very hot so it dissolves well.
- Store in refrigerator for 3 months
Dosage: Adults take 1 tablespoon daily; Children take 1 teaspoon daily
If you’re like me and you would rather use a natural source of iron instead of prescriptions and synthetic forms, give this yellow dock decoction a try. I think you’ll be pleased with the result!
Do you struggle with anemia? How do you treat it?