My Favorite Home Remedy for Migraines/Headaches

I’ve had problems with headaches and migraines off and on for years, (which I now believe is due to taking too many antibiotics) and most times I’ve had to take a pain reliever to get any kind of relief.  My headaches can turn into migraines, which include light sensitivity, loss of appetite, nausea, and even vomiting – and I have to do something quick for them when they get bad (because I hate to throw up! :))- which normally means taking pain relievers (which only damages my liver further).

I have discovered my favorite remedy for my migraines and headaches!

Since using this new remedy, I have not had to use any pain relievers to get rid of my headaches, no matter how bad they are!

My Favorite Home Remedy for Migraines/Headaches

What is this remedy? ~ Cayenne!
Cayenne-Pepper-LB
Cayenne pepper increases blood circulation and immediately equalizes blood pressure, which relieves pressure in the head.  In the past, nothing has helped my bad migraines except unhealthy pain relievers…. until cayenne! I am so thankful for this herb!!!
What I do is very simple:
Place 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper in 8 oz. of water (hot or cold – if you use hot water, it will “steep” the cayenne and make the drink even hotter).
Sip the cayenne mixture until headache is gone.
*I also have a glass of cold water to sip along with the cayenne water to cool my tongue. :)*
In my experience, the headache has begun to disappear with the first sip.  With my worst migraine, it took about 5 sips to improve.  I continue to drink the cayenne water slowly until the mixture is gone.  You can repeat this later if the headache comes back (though mine never has).
Can you use any cayenne from the store for this remedy?  Cayenne bought from a grocery store shelf will not be as fresh, though it may work fine.  If you try store-bought cayenne and don’t have good results, try buying a fresh good-quality cayenne.  My favorite is from the Bulk Herb Store!

The Bulk Herb Store is a company I know I can trust to sell me only the freshest, best quality herbs!  I love this store!

I would love to hear how this remedy works for you!

This post is linked to:
Growing Home    Far Above Rubies   Time-Warp Wife
Raising Mighty Arrows    Little Natural Cottage    Our Simple Country Life

Comments

Wow, I have never heard of this! I am going to try this, though hopefully I won’t get one in the near future!!! I hope I can handle the heat! Thanks for always sharing this excellent and useful kind of information.

Wow! I’ll have to try that! I sometimes wake up with excruciating headaches, my chiropractor did this massage thingy on the base of my head at the back of my neck, and I have not had a headache since!

Good natural chiropractors are great for helping with things like that. I have a friend who had headaches every day from an accident she had, and she was taking tylenol daily {yikes!} to be able to make it through the day. Just a few visits to a natural chiropractor, and she’s pain free!

I can’t wait to try this I’ve had daily headaches since childhood. Nothing relieves them except high doses of over the counter pain killers, which I hate taking. So excited to have a better option. I will definitely try this next time. I just hate pumping all those chemicals in my body but I still need to be able to function without excruciating pain!

I hope it works for you, Brittany! Also, read my post on castor oil packs – they can be used for headaches also and can take the place of pain killers. You might also try going to a natural chiropractor that doesn’t use the “crack and pop” method. I have a friend that took pain relievers every day for headaches also and she was pain free after just a few visits with him! Let me know if you need any more specifics on the type of chiropractor. I hate for you to live with this pain!

This is wonderful! I shared this with my sister, who get migraines that sounds just like yours. I told her it’s definitely worth a try over a bunch of drugs!

Would drinking milk along side of the cayenne water nulify the work of the cayenne. I know I won’t be able to handle the heat and I also know the milk will help that, but will be inhibit the cayenne?

• Kate says

Not sure if drinking milk would work or not but milk takes more time for the body to work through and might slow down the digestion of cayenne so it might take longer? not sure.

If you regularly have migraines taking feverfew regularly has actually reduced the frequency and severity of my migraines. There’s actually been a lot of studies showing it’s effectiveness.

I’ll definately have to try the cayenne for the times it does occur though thank you for the information!

I’m trying this right now Jill. I downed a few sits and then took a spoonfull of coconut oil. I will let you know if it works! I firgured I would find good advice if I came here! :)

Will have to give this a try during the next episode. I use a prescription but am currently on natural serotonin support to see if it helps so that I have fewer episodes. Would be glad if they’d go away completely.

Hi Jill,
    Would 1/2 tsp cayenne & 8 oz water also be the dosage for a 65 lb child?
    I can tell a monster migraine has been trying to get a grip on my 10 yr old & I’m cringing every time I give him Motrin.

10. Mandy Robinson says

Wow… This worked!!! I have been suffering for 2 days with a cluster headache. Thank you!!!!!

11. Megan says

So I will admit I was skeptical at firest but just finished drinking the cayenne in water and my 2-day migraine caused by a storm front coming in is gone! I feel amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this remedy! My husband and I are trying to conceive so I have stopped taking my migraine prescription and am trying not to take too much medication so I thought I would be doomed to suffer through headaches for a long time but this worked! I even bent over to test that is really gone lol because that will sometimes cause it to flare back up…it is definitely gone! :-)

12. Dinesh Kumar says

I’m glad I checked this article. I was suffering from a headache, just a little, and I used your remedy and it helped a lot. This website is becoming a resource for me. Keep sharing good stuff, Jill.

Trackbacks